1922, farmer John Harper laid out streets, installed sidewalks and
by the next year began to sell lots near Seal Beach, between Wintersburg
and Gospel Swamp. This area became known as MIDWAY CITY, due to
its central location halfway between Santa Ana and Seal Beach.
travelers started using the area as a watering hole and wealthy
Huntington Beach oilmen took up residence in the area to escape
the smell of the black gold.
CITY is the only area in Orange County that incorporates its
chamber of commerce (1924) and homeowners association, which in
concert act like a city council. Monthly meetings, formerly held
at the American Legion Post, now take place in front of big audiences
at the new MIDWAY CITY Community Center. The fact that someone brings
homemade cakes and coffee to these meetings might have something
to do with the great attendance. Street lights, water supply, zoning
and Neighborhood Watch are some of the topics that are dealt with
regularly. And while the final decision is up to the County Supervisor,
the Chamber of Commerce and Homeowners Association and the MIDWAY
CITY Community Organization (1983) is taken quite seriously and
usually gets good results.
close-knit unincorporated area bears a close resemblance to many
Midwestern communities. In fact much of Midway City was horse property
up until the 1970's. There are still some people in Midway City
who first met here, went to school here, wed here, and are now celebrating
their anniversaries here. Midway City citizens are extremely friendly
and proud of their small-town heritage.